Saturday, November 14, 2009

How can I get a stain out of a royal blue silk beaded gown w/o leaving water stain. Tag says do not dry clean?

I collect antique and vintage Japanese kimonos and Chinese gowns. I wish I knew what the stain was to better instruct you. However, if the stain has an oily feel to it or the silk is darkened in that area try sprinkling baking soda, baby powder, salt, borax or cornstarch (whatever you have on hand) over the spot. Any of these absorb oil without damage to the delicate silk fiber. I have also used dry granule carpet cleaners on my gowns and kimonos to remove "mystery" stains without harm. Resolve, Capture and ChemDry all make them and you simply sprinkle them on the stain, agitate carefully with a nubby terry towel, allow to dry and either vacuum or shake off the dry granules. Many of my handmade gowns are simply too fragile to be dry cleaned and these are ways to "clean" them without damage.


No comments:

Post a Comment